Monday, August 17, 2009

This Little Piggy Went to Market

Markets are a big deal here. Daily markets (minus Sunday) in several nearby towns. I went with Tiffeanie last week to the Aviano market where I bought a floral dress shown below. What would you like? Fruit? Vegetables? Cheese? Meat? Undies? Shoes? Deodorant? Wait. Did I just say undies? Yes. I am telling you, any item you need during the week--you can find at your local market.
Evan and I went to Pordenone (poor-den-no-nay) Saturday morning. It is supposed to be the largest market and it's so big they have it twice a week: Wednesday and Saturday. It just weaves in and out of streets, corners, nooks, and crannies.
This is the view from looking down one of the streets. The main "idea", for lack of a better term, is as follows: Van with the goods in the back. Extend tent-like canopy from van and hang various aforementioned items. Set up tables full of baskets filled to the brim with posterboard type signs attached that divulge the prices of the items. I mentioned a van. The van is now empty because all contents that were previously inside the van are strewn about the tables. Should you need to try any of the clothing on (dress, skirt, shirt, pants, jeans, pajamas) just climb into the van. It is a portable dressing room! What if you see an undergarment that you just can't live without but not sure of the size? That's okay just try it over your clothes right there on the street. Everybody else is doing it. Not kidding.
Saturday evening we went to Sacile (sah-chee-lay) for Sagra de Osei (a festival of the birds) and their market was extended for the evening. This is just one example of the booths available for you at the market. Have a sweet tooth? Just can't go on until you have a candy pacifier? Well wait no more--here you go.
What is that? It is any dentist's nightmare or mother-of-a-toddler's nightmare--take your pic. These are ropes, about 1.5 feet long of pure sugar. Think licorice times 10.

This was the finale of the market for us. Along with the purses, jewelry, brooms, alarm clocks, clothing, and shoes...just in case you remembered that your vacuum was missing a bracket or hose...you could purchase that as well--right here at the market. The lights are glaring but those items hanging from the tent are vacuums. Just point to one and you too can take one home.

3 comments:

  1. This would be my favorite place to go to!! I love my sweets and my goodness that looked yummy ;). And, that dress is too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--we are SO going there when we come to visit--I don't care what Jeff and Evan say! And the candy??? How excited were you about that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just hilarious! It's better than the Dollar Store! :) Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete