Saturday, August 8, 2009

Benvenuto!

Evan and I have been in Right Start--an orientation program and welcome to Aviano AB for the past week. We've been told customs, cultures, behaviors, how to order coffee, as well as info. for house-hunting, filing financial forms, etc.

Friday ended with an all-day tour starting off in Polcenigo near a spring, then to an outdoor market in Porcia, and into Pordenone for coffee and chocolate tasting. Then we took the train to Sacile for a mini-tour then to lunch in Fontanafredda--5 course Italian meal. We finished the tour at a local winery. Whew! We were pretty tired after all that, but it was full of information and we ate really well.

More details if you're interested:
*Polcenigo is a little village where we are really interested in living.
*The market in Porcia was my first experience with a hole-in-the-ground toilet. More on that later--there's just too much to discuss! I bought a bracelet and Evan bought a fresh peach. The markets are everyday in different towns--meat/cheese and fruit/veggies to underwear and backpacks--it's just so easy to shop!
*Pordenone is a big city and I really like it but we haven't had much luck with houses. It's where my fave yoga is located so I have selfish reasons for being drawn to it.
*Our 5 course meal consisted of bread, rice & veggie mixture, the yummiest pasta I've ever eaten, carrots, potatoes, Evan had chicken and I had salmon, Evan had sculpino (lemon, vodka, & ice) to clean his pallet, and then 2 desserts. Oh geez, tiramisu and chocolate gelato, was I supposed to pass those up?
*The winery was small, local, quaint, and perfect all at the same time. The owner Gelise had just been to TX and told us all about his trip to NASA, Austin, Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Don't be surprised if you visit us if we take you to his winery--what a great host!

The pictures are good but we are still having MAJOR issues trying to post them. Just use your imagination for now:)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun. What a great introduction to Italia! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get a welcome tour like that when we come? :)

    ReplyDelete