Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gig 'Em Aggies!

Happy Thanksgiving!

All my life Thanksgiving has centered around football. Either watching or attending a football game or games during the four-day Thanksgiving break. Either cheering for Gobbler football or traveling to watch the Aggies play the Longhorns in College Station and sometimes Austin. Today ends that rivalry. Evan and I are so torn that we can't be there to sit with his parents and watch the last--until further notice--true rivalry game, at Kyle Field surrounded by Aggies and Longhorns willing their team to claim the title.

My Dad went to the University of Texas, as well as a few of my friends, and a lot of Evan's best friends from high school. It's a friendly rivalry. And by friendly, I mean when it's all said and done, we're still friends. There is plenty of "friendly" trash talk and competition to go around until the last second of the game.

Since Evan's family lives in Austin and my Mom's extended family lives near College Station, Thanksgiving has always been easy for us. If the game is in Austin, Thanksgiving is with Evan's family. We don't go to the game usually but we try to attend some of the hooplah before or after. If the game is in College Station, Thanksgiving is with my family. We go to Thanksgiving, sleep off the food, go to bed, wake up and go to the game. We haven't been back since the game has actually been on Thanksgiving Day again recently. Since I was a freshman in college I haven't shopped the Black Friday sales. I was either consumed with attending the game in College Station or setting up appetizers and football watching food in Austin. What will we do next year when we're in the States? At the moment it just doesn't seem like this part of Thanksgiving will feel the same.

This year I am thankful for my husband. As I look back I see these two little babies who are now toddling around and I wonder how we got this far. Easy answer. Evan. God's grace has guided us on a journey as a family and I'm thankful for His direction.

I'm thankful for Porter and Elijah. Two pieces of my heart that toddle around this world, seeing everything new and fresh and clear.

I'm incredibly thankful for family and friends here and back home who support us, encourage us, listen to us, and visit us. The saying "it takes a village" comes to mind. We have a good Village.

2 comments:

  1. Love. Love. Love. Happy Thanksgiving from Aggieland. We'll yell extra loud for you. Kiss the kids for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! We're happy you're a part of our Village, too! Gig 'em, Aggies!!
    -- Laura Smith

    ReplyDelete