January 29, 2010
I was asked by some new friends to take a wives' trip to Spain, more specifically Barcelona. Their husbands were in Zaragoza flying for 3 weeks and were going to meet up with them over the weekend. So I jumped at the chance to have a girl's weekend and return to my favorite place on earth second to Texas...Spain. After Evan and I studied there in 2002, I truly feel at home in this country and it's nice that I could actually communicate/understand the language better too.
We arrived by mid-day in Barcelona and got settled in our hotel. We then had to get something to eat so why not start off right with some paella--traditional Spanish dish with chicken or fish, veggies, and rice.

After lunch we hit up a local daily market in the Ramblas area very close to our hotel. Well like a child in a candy store literally, I had to take a picture of the fun display of sugar at my disposal.

(L-R) Shannon with Mikayla, Beth, Jessica, and Jaime. Unfortunately you cannot see Kate in Jess's stroller.

An array of peppers at the market. Everything was just so fresh for the taking.

Just a bit of the seafood for sale. You can see the huge lobster claws in the forefront.

Evan's favorite--lengua. His host mom made this when we lived in Spain and he was totally disgusted, and Evan eats
anything, but he ate it to be nice. This was for him.

And our favorite booth overall. Fresh fruit juices that were sort of icey. SO yummy. The lady is eating a piece of her own watermelon. I chose a strawberry juice--delicious.

On the plaza walkway down Ramblas street, the vendors sold souvenirs, flowers, etc. Sweet Mikayla enjoyed walking and smelling all the flowers.

On our afternoon walk around the area, we just happened upon this massive church.

There was something going on inside but I can just imagine what it looked like. Beautiful.

And on the opposite side of the church were these apartment-type buildings with decorated facades.

Next door.

Since we enjoyed a late lunch, and walked around for sight-seeing and mostly shopping, a few of us chose for a tapas style dinner and sangria. Me, Beth, Catherine, and Jaime were entertained by our waiter.
This was the end of our first day in Barcelona. Home for an early to bed since we knew we had a full day tomorrow and the girls were looking forward to seeing their husbands the next morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment